Monday, September 3, 2007

Flag Hill and Rajpur


Hi there...this blog is taking acceptionally long to make. The picture part I haven't mastered yet. Anyway, here are some shots of the path from/to our house...again...


notice the sun...


Here I am, admiring the girls new artwork above their beds.

Here is Chris, who may or may not buy this Royal Enfield. Katie, this one is for you. Especially note the sari step in the next picture ...for comfortable riding.



This one is for all the kids out there who have been following the bugs. This caterpillar is about 4 inches long. And 3/4 inch thick.


creepy camo


Here is the latest house spider we caught in Maija's kitchen. They are so fast. The next one I caught was in our bedroom. Roxy had fallen asleep and there was "Heart", the girls fond name for it, right above her head. So I tried to catch her, but she lost a few legs. oops.
This one is Rover 4.


Roxy in the woods on Flag Hill


Flag Hill






Last week we went to Flag Hill for my Grade 11 and 12 classes. It was great: we sketched and listened to our local expert and good friend Darab tell us everything about the local fauna. There really isn't anything that grows that isn't of some use traditionally or even commercially. It's pretty amazing.

The first day we hiked it was clear as can be. We could see the white capped snow peaks beyond Bear Hill and Pepperpot. The next day was completely fogged over, but we had chai and the girls and Steve came along for the hike. I think overall that the kids were pretty happy to get outside of the class. It is so easy to organise the outings, so I hope to get out with them every other week.




On the way up.




















Here comes the family!

"It's Mr. Pye!"
















Blue Pine












Kyle lighting the stove.






















Hike to Rajpur







Above is Jeanne hiking down. Below is ...well...not really sure. No one was brave enough to peek. I think its Jeanne resting.


This past weekend Steve went with a gang on a day long journey from the Tehri road all the way down down down almost to Dehra Dun. Some of the pics above are from Rajpur where the hike ended and a bus was taken back up to the school.


And last but not least...a new outfit! And crimped hair. You will notice that we bought a TV. I know I know. But I am excited for it to get hooked up. We do get the newspaper everyday, but I can't wait to be able to watch late night news and movies. Roxy's arthritis flared up in the monsoon. She is OK and it seems to be getting better. It is more than likely that it is just monsoon dampness. Asha is loud as can be. But I have to say, she is really growing up.

As of today, I have been here for exactly 6 weeks: in Mussoorie at school. I say I because Steve has had some excursions to Dehra Dun on his own. I suppose the kids have been in one spot alos...but that is besides the point. As the sixth week has approached and almost gone, I don't feel the six week sadness that I have been warned about per se. (Although I did cry after I spoke with mom and Rahat) but I do feel a tiny bit of cabin fever. It is so ironic since we are in the most beautiful countryside in India (I would argue). But even though the monsoon has its own beauty...it does grow tiresome. One more month I am told. Leaving Mussoorie and heading down the hill isn't even super interesting to me...because it means I would be in one big hot city, and that's no fun. So I am tempted to wait it out right here, and then once the monsoon goes I am going to hike all over the mountains. I have been spending the past month researching and looking at all the treks from here. Next summer, I think we will have to spend 6 weeks exploring more and the surrounding Himalaya up closer toward Tibet. Anyway, that took way more energy than I thought. I am sure youc an tell, I am not really into writing. Next time I wm only going to write when there is really something to talk about. As Tanya would say...

Love and Laughter!


















4 comments:

Tangent said...

I LOVE the pictures!!!!!! Please please keep blogging, even if it's just talking about daily stuff. I love reading it! Ha ha, Jeanne resting, that's creepy.

Claire Cameron said...

It's really nice to know about the day to day stuff--even just one pic and a sentence helps me imagine where you(s) are.

Katie said...

Thanks for the picture Jackie! It's nice to see pictures of Chris and the bike that may or may not be his.

All the other photographs are beautiful as well! It looks like you all are living in such an amazing place.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.