Friday, August 24, 2007

Seems I am living week by week these days. Although, the weeks tend to melt in with the weekends. School so far has been great. The kids are awesome. I love every bit of them. They are friendly, interesting and smart. Today, I was delighted when one of my grade 12 students said "hey Chocolate Pye". Awesome. They actually know that I am brown. At home, I am used to more profane or maybe just perverted associations with the name Pye (all endearing of course), so this one is great. Lorenz told me that there is a treat here called Chocopie, which is the name he has heard. Love it. Another grade 9 student called me Ms. Jackie...which I sort of like. But was followed by a class full of giggles.

Tonight we went for dinner at the dorms with the Grade 9's and 12's. Take out for 150 people or more. The girls had fun and ran around with a student Jaza. Another student begged me to show her Mr. Pye. Ha. So I had to explain to her why I hadn't changed my name. No one seems to have problem with it. They love Chocopie. Anyway, after dinner we hopped on the scooter and headed up the hill. Foggy and rainy.

Roxy is loving Ramona the Pest at night, so we read for a long time. Asha can now sit and listen without the pictures. The girls are great. Roxy has a wee bit of a sore knee, but we are managing it. Gives me an excuse to massage and cuddle her for hours. She is loving school too, great teacher and friends. Only two other kids in her grade, so she gets exactly what she craves. She said the other night "we are so lucky to be here. It is so cool that we live in the clouds. I wish that Ava and Emma could come".

Everyone went to Rishikesh this weekend. We are staying behind to hang out and play. Seems a little quieter, but that is OK. Our friend Neeraj lost his mother yesterday to cancer. A sad thing. They are a very tight family and no doubt will be thinking of her as they sit on the Ganga this weekend. Speaking of which, I found Tanya's necklace in the bazaar. A friend told me where she saw one, she has a ring like it, so I am going to go and get it tomorrow. I miss her. sigh.

Steve has "mastered" the climb and drop through the bazaar on the scooter. Now he has to practice with all four of us on it. And I suppose I should get my ass out there and learn to drive it too. It is very handy. Especially because now it only take a total of 15 minutes to go and get beer and come home. Great luxury in the mountains. The new beer of choice is "Flying Fox. From the Great Himalayas." It is brewed in Dehra Dun just down the mountain.

So we are going to Goa for 3 weeks at xmas. I booked the ticket already. I was so worried that I would miss out on cheap flights that I just snagged the earliest one. I always get burned by these things, so...why not. May as well do it. We will never regret three weeks on a beach. And travelling in that area will be fun. Next summer maybe Leh, and then maybe next xmas in Thailand.

It is hard to believe that school starts in Canada in a week or so. I feel like my summer has been on hold. After monsoon I am going to relish every bit of sunlight that burns my cheeks for the next few months. The thought of it cooling at home makes me shiver. I won't miss it a bit. Even now when the clouds are gone for a minute, it is so hot. By October it will be perfect. But the summer is over I guess. I am glad I am not thinking that way. I always dreaded the summer being over.

Sorry that this is a pretty chppy and unintellectual post. That is what they will all probably be like. I read other people's blogs and think...nope...mine will never be like that. But I do love reading them. More later this weekend. And I think the phone is not working...I have been trying to get a line out for days...I should do something about that!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Please post pics of all 4 Pye's on the scooter...

Jackie Pye said...

Then it maybe difficult to take pic of four pye's. Esp since there is really only one pye and three Mcdonalds. But yes, will get someone to take this!

Claire Cameron said...

You live in the clouds.